Mixed Media: Getting Ready for a Fun Project

I'm learning and practicing mixed media techniques.  Do you think someone could teach me patience to enjoy the process and not focus on the end product?  When you see all the layers, one layer at a time, it keeps looking like a mistake.  Then you get to the end...yeah...it worked.  Whew!

I created my tag while watching Prima Marketing Inc + Lindy's Stamp Gang mixed media cards tutorial.  Somehow there is only a hint of recognition of their creation in mine.  Theirs is light and colorful, mine reminds me of fall and a golden palace of royalty.  I finally ended up liking it. 
 All the details are on the video that is only 6:16 minutes.  Perfect time for me.  Here are some differences.
-mine is a tag.  They actually create 2 cards.
-different colors.  I chose Bo Bunny's Enchanted Harvest for my background (could explain the feel of Fall.)
-added thread.  I like the look of the thread around a grouping.  Just a fun element.
-added crackle.  I was having a hard time accepting what I had so I added Tim Holtz Distress crackle paint, clear rock candy.
-I created some of my color sprays.  I used Distress stains, reinkers from the Tim Holtz Distress inks,  old Tattered Angels glimmer mist.  I added a few drops of the mediums into a Ranger spritzer with water and worked with what I could make. 
Mine ended up looking much different BUT I learned much which was the purpose. 
Which brings me to why I am LEARNING and PRACTICING so much with mixed media.  I am working towards altering a record album book.  Basically, a set of albums bound in one cover.   If you are of the generation of POST records, here is the definition and history of "records." 
I realized after I tried to cover the front with white gesso that I needed help.  I have created an altered record album before but I really wanted this one to be mixed media strong. 

This book houses a series of Kate Smith records.  I love Kate Smith so this is perfect.  After I finish the pages the records will be returned to the sleeves unharmed. 

I have more to learn and a book to design.  I have decided on vintage photos from my Dad's photo collection from the 50's and early 60's. 

Along with learning techniques, I am working on learning about and purchasing products.  That is almost the hardest part.

Do you recommend a company or specific mixed media product?  I am dying for all the input I can get.

Create Memories / Pass Them On






Comments

  1. Use stencils and modeling paste. After you stencil then add a splash of color. Stencil stencils overlapping each other for a cool effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a lot stencils that I like for the designs I want but I am collecting some now. I will give the stencil layering and color a try this weekend.

      Delete
  2. oooo Love that you take it and make it your own. The tag is gorgeous. Looks to me like you're rockin' it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been meaning to post on this since I first saw it. Than it slipped away from the gray matter. I think this is fabulous. I truly love everything about it. And I admire and envy your go for it attitude. You're a natural for mixed media.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, ask a question, or just bring the chocolate for your next visit to Ds Paper Studio!